Rubbed Roasted Turkey
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: about 3 Hours and 30 Minutes
Ready In: about 4 Hours
Makes about 14 Servings
1 12-14 lb, turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
1 medium onion, quartered
2 lemons, quartered
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degree F.
2. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey;
discard or refrigerate for another use.
3. Rinse the turkey with cold running water; drain and pat dry
with paper towels.
4. Place the onion and lemon quarters in neck and body cavities.
5. In a small bowl, mix the oil with thyme, tarragon, rosemary,
salt and pepper. With your finger tips, gently loosen skin from
the breast without pulling off the skin. Place 1 tablespoon of
the seasoning mixture under skin; replace skin. Rub cavities
and outside of turkey with remaining seasoning mixture.
6. Secure the neck skin to the back with skewers. Fold the wings
under the back of the turkey. Place the legs in tucked position.
7. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a wire roasting rack
(sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) in shallow roasting pan
(no more than 2-1/2 inches). Insert an oven-safe thermometer
into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not
touch the bone.
8. Cover the turkey with a loose tent of foil.
9. Roast the turkey in a pre-heated 325 degree F. oven for about
2-1/2 hours; then remove foil and baste the turkey with the pan
10. Continue to roast the turkey for about another hour until
meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F. in the thigh.
11. Remove the turkey from oven and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes