GRAY CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE IV
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: about 5 Hours
Ready In: about 5 Hours and 15 Minutes
Makes about 8 servings
5 lbs. gray corned beef
2 onions, halved and stuck with 2 cloves each
6 carrots, peeled and halved
1 large head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh parsley
12 peppercorns, crushed
1. Place gray corned
beef into a 8 quart heavy pot then cover beef with water.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer
for 1 hour. Skim the top for any fat residue.
3. Meanwhile, peel the carrots
and halve lengthwise. Set aside.
4. Peel the potatoes and cut
into quarters. Set aside.
5. Peel the turnip and peeled
and cut into chunks. Set aside.
6. Cut the green cabbage into
6 wedges. Set aside.
7. Peel and slice the onions.
8. Add the remaining ingredients
and bring back to a boil.
9. Cover and reduce the heat.
Simmer approximately for about 4 hours until beef is tender.
Check the meat by inserting a fork. Fork should be inserted and
withdrawn with ease. DO NOT OVERCOOK.